Skip to main content

My Favorite Lobster Roll


Are you a fan of lobster rolls?  I am.  Found at lobster shacks, roadside stands and fancier restaurants throughout the state of Maine, lobster rolls are now gaining popularity throughout the country for one reason & one reason only.  These sandwiches are delicious!  I feel it is important that the sandwich be filled to the brim with fresh, cold lobster taken from the tail & claw, and that the bun be either toasted or warmed, and lightly buttered.  Whether you like your lobster filling mixed with mayonnaise or butter, the condiment should be used judiciously, and to my mind, there should be no other “filler”.  It’s perfectly fine for me if a small amount of fresh herbs or a kiss of lemon juice finds its way into the filling, but that should be it.

On my quest for such a sandwich, I was recently lead to a wonderful eatery called The Green Bean in the beautiful town of Gladwyne, Pennsylvania.  I had been told by several people that this place served a pretty delectable lobster roll, so I went in to find out for myself.  

The Lobster Roll at The Green Bean
What arrived at my table was just what I was after.  The sandwich was packed with the most delicious lobster meat and with it, I was served a mesclun salad of baby greens, along with the typical side of kettle potato chips.  I’m so glad I was given several napkins, because I wasted no time in devouring the roll with gusto.  Pure heaven!  I don’t think it took more than 5 minutes to finish that meal (shhh, don’t tell anyone!).  

This famous lobster roll at The Green Bean is the perfect blend of tail, knuckle & claw meat that is very lightly enhanced with mayonnaise, in addition to the right amount of lemon juice.   A small sprinkling of freshly snipped chives to top it off and that completes the roll.  The bun is lightly buttered to enhance the flavor, so what you end up with is what a true lobster roll should be.  

Thankfully, chef & owner, Tammin, graciously allowed me to take a few photographs of his wonderful lobster roll for me to show you.  Trust me when I tell you that this sandwich is well worth the price.  Just get over the sticker shock & order one.  You won’t regret it whatsoever.  

Just so you know, The Green Bean was voted Best of The Main Line & Western Suburbs in 2012 by Main Line Today.  

Have a look!  


Perfection!  If you take a closer look you'll notice the combination of lobster meat I mentioned.  You can't even see the mayonnaise, but it's there.  

The mesclun salad is generous and artfully piled onto the very modern plates used by The Green Bean.  What you must understand, however, is that the red wine vinaigrette is phenomenal!  After the lobster roll, the salad dressing comes in second.  What's more, I got the chef to give me a list of the ingredients, so I'm going to attempt to recreate it at home to share with you in the near future.  Stay tuned!

Kettle chips down the hatch!

The Green Bean
358 Righters Mill Road
Gladwyne, Pennsylvania
484-412-8266

If you do find yourself wanting this lobster roll on The Main Line, here in the suburbs of Philadelphia, tell them David sent you to The Green Bean.   You're going to love it!

Comments

  1. I had a lobster roll for the first time a couple of weeks ago - was my first time trying lobster and it was very nice. Over here it is pretty expensive - £20 for the lobster roll with fries and a little salad so is more of a luxury item but I'm looking forward to my next one. Your one looks really yummy. You are so lucky to be able to get lobster more readily available than us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautifully presented meal, David!

    I prefer crab over lobster; however, I moved out of my comfort zone to enjoy a lobster roll during our cruise excursion in Maine - It was incredible! It didn't look as good as yours, but then again, the place I got my Lob-roll from was no Green Bean!

    Have a Fantastic week and thanks for sharing your Lobster Roll with me!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky of you to have taken a cruise around the islands of Maine. That's definitely on my bucket list!!

    I might have to agree with you in terms of crab vs. lobster. Oh, Maryland blue crab is the best!

    xo,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pru, I hear you! The lobster roll at the Green Bean is on the pricier side and it indeed is a luxury, but well worth it.

    Take pictures of your next one and share them with me!

    David

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I lived in CT before moving to Maryland and every Fall we make a trip back to New England for "The Big E." There is a section called Avenue of the States that has replicas of the original state houses for MA, ME, NH, VT, CT & RI. Each house has state specialties for sale and the Maine house has wonderful lobster rolls. Huge chunks of meat barely held together with a tiny bit of mayo on a cheap white hotdog roll. We camp out there eating VT maple cotton candy, organic brick oven pizza, organic beer, Dell's fresh lemonade & lobster rolls. Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean! There's nothing like those lobster rolls abundant with meat! My mouth is watering just thinking of it....now I want one!

    Vermont, oh how I wish I could get a farm there. It all sounds good!

    :)

    David

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank You for Posting!

Popular posts from this blog

Antique Salt Cellars

There was a time when salt cellars played an important role on the dining table for the host or hostess.  As a result of it being such an expensive commodity several hundred years ago, salt was seen as a luxury and it was the well to do that made salt cellars quite fashionable & a status symbol for the home.  A single salt cellar usually sat at the head of the table and was passed around throughout the meal.  The closer one sat to the salt cellar, the more important one was deemed by the head of the household.  Smaller cellars that were more accessible and with an open top became a part of Victorian table settings.  Fast forward to the 20th century when salt was no longer a luxury and when anti caking agents were added to make salt free-flowing, and one begins to see salt cellars fall out of fashion.  Luckily for the collector and for those of us who like to set a table with Good Things , this can prove to be a boon. Salt cellars for the table come in silver, porcelain, cut glass

Collecting Jadeite

With its origins dating back to the 1930s, jadeite glassware began its mass production through the McKee Glass Co. in Pennsylvania. Their introduction of the Skokie green & Jade kitchenware lines ushered in our fascination with this jade color.  Glassmakers catered jadeite to the American public as an inexpensive alternative to earthenware soon after the Depression, both for the home and for its use in restaurants.  The Jeanette Glass Company and Anchor Hocking introduced their own patterns and styles, which for many collectors, produced some of the most sought after pieces.  Companies marketed this beautiful glass under the monikers of jadite , jadeite , jade glass , jad-ite , jade-ite , so however you want to spell it, let it draw you in for a closer look.  If you want a thorough history of the origins of jadeite, collectors’ pricing, patterns & shapes (don’t forget the reproductions in 2000), I highly suggest picking up the book by Joe Keller & David Ross called, Jadei

How to Paint a Chair

If you have ever felt the need to spruce up a set of chairs or give them a new look, why not try a little bit of paint?  Our tastes in decor and color will probably alter throughout our lives, and at some point, we may find ourselves wanting to change the look of our furniture without having to spend a lot of money.  That's where a few handy tips, some tools from the hardware store, and good-quality paint come in handy.   I know I'm not alone in paying visits to local antique shops, antique fairs and flea markets, and falling in love with pieces of furniture that would be perfect if they were just a different color.  You don't have to walk away from a good purchase simply because it's the wrong color.   My dear friend, Jeffrey, is forever enhancing his home with collectibles from flea markets and tag sales.  However, certain items aren't always up to Jeffrey's tastes when he brings them home.  He is the type of person who won't hesitate to chang